Thursday, 14 July 2011

Gang-raped OFW in Saudi gives birth

MANILA, Philippines – The pregnant overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was raped by 3 Saudi nationals last week has given birth to a baby girl.

More good news came for "Salley" (not her real name) when her 3 rapists were caught

Salley was scheduled to identify the 3 suspects last Wednesday, but had to be rushed to the hospital early in the morning to give birth.

Salley had a healthy, 3.6-pound baby girl.

The OFW said that she was thankful that her daughter was not affected by the rape that she endured.

"Healthy naman po siya ngayon, normal," Salley said of her daughter.

Although she is still weak, Salley will go straight to the police precinct once she gets out of the hospital in order to identify the rapists.

The Philippine Embassy has confirmed that the 3 suspects, all Saudi nationals, are currently in jail at Dammam.

But the suspects are not yet being named as Salley has yet to positively identify them.

Salley will also be given an attorney to ensure that she receives justice.

"Tinatanong nila ako kung itutuloy ko ang kaso, sabi ko, opo. Pinapirma po nila ako kanina," Salley said.

The medical results that may tie the suspects to the rape have not yet been released.

Meanwhile, many Filipinos in the Middle East have offered their support and sympathies for Salley, with some offering financial help.

"Masaya kami ngayon at nakapanganak siya ng maayos, at healthy ang bata. Maraming salamat sa mga Pilipinong tumulong sa kanya," community leader Aiza Monares said.

Pinay is one of top entrepreneurs in US

WASHINGTON DC – Ten years after immigrating to the United States, and 3 years after starting her own business, Nina Rodecker is one of America’s top entrepreneurs.

She has been feted by the Chamber of Commerce, the US Congress, and the White House.

It was a far cry from her days growing up in Sampaloc, where she sold mangga and bagoong at a grade school until the nuns forbade it.

Rodecker and about a hundred other young entrepreneurs were invited to DC to help promote business start-ups and jobs, and help rescue the US economy.

"We have to support small business started by entrepreneurs because small business accounts for three-fourths of the economy. More small businesses, more jobs, better economy," Rodecker said.

Rodecker's Tasty Clouds Candy company was born when she couldn’t find a store to satisfy a craving for cotton candy when she was pregnant.

Some of the candy that Nina Rodecker sells in the Tasty Clouds Candy Company.

The company has now cornered the cotton candy business in Los Angeles, capturing an A-list clientele which includes Paris Hilton, other stars, chefs, musicians and athletes.

She said that Filipinos have qualities that make them good entrepreneurs wherever they may be.

"First and foremost, they should work on their passion. We Filipinos are very persevering, we are very determined. Those are good qualities that would really turn to successful business," she said.

Her advice to other aspiring Filipino-American entrepreneurs: "Think big. This is America, think bigger."

After making one of the simplest sugar treats into a million-dollar business, Rodecker is now setting her sights on bigger things.

Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Barbosa wins top place in Campo Memorial Chess

MANILA, Philippines – Filipino International Master (IM) Oliver Barbosa won the overall title in the Florencio Campomanes Memorial Yangon International Open Chess 2011 in Yangon, Myanmar on Monday.

The Taytay, Rizal native finished with 7.5 points to bag the overall title and the $3,000 prize that goes with it.

The event was organized by the Myanmar Chess Federation and Myanmar Sports and Physical Education Department to pay homage to the FIDE (World Chess Federation) honorary president Florencio "Pocamps" Campomanes.

“Once again our flag has been raised in this foreign land,” said National Chess Federation of the Philippines (NCFP) president Prospero "Butch" Pichay Jr.

Li Hanbing of China finished second with 7 points for the $1,600 runner-up purse.

Seven players -- IM Richard Bitoon and FM Mari Joseph Turqueza of the Philippines, IM Nguyen Van Huy of Vietnam, IM Atanu Lahiri and IM Dinesh Kumar Sharma of India, IM Myo Naing and Moun Moun Latt of Myanmar -- shared third to ninth places with 6.5 points.

IM Wynn Zaw Htun, Myint Han and Zayar of Myanmar finished in a tie for 10th to 12th places with 6 points.

Junior Archers shoot down Blue Eaglets in OT

MANILA, Philippines - De La Salle University (DLSU) drew first blood over bitter rival Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) this year as the Junior Archers defeated the reigning 3-time champion Blue Eaglets, 78-75, in overtime on Tuesday's UAAP juniors basketball.

Gabby Reyes scored 21 points and Isaac Lim added 16 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists to lift La Salle-Zobel at AdMU's home court in Katipunan.

Reyes sank two pressure packed charities for a 76-73 advantage, before the Junior Archers forced the Blue Eaglets to a 5-second inbound violation in the next play just 30 seconds remaining.

Kristiane Velhagen's free throw gave La Salle Zobel more breathing room in overtime, but Ateneo made it 75-77 on Gab Capacio’s putback.

Axel Torres split his charities to make it 78-75 with 18.6 seconds remaining. The Junior Archers then tightened its defense in the final seconds, forcing Blue Eaglets’ Gerald Austria’s desperation triple to miss its mark.

It was Ateneo's Thomas Ramos who sank two free throws to send the game into overtime, 67-67.

NU rips UST

National University nipped last year’s juniors finalist University of Santo Tomas (UST), 63-59, in overtime at the Ateneo Blue Eagle gym.

The Bullpups practically led for most part of the game, but found a resilient team in the Tiger Cubs who placed the scores at 53-all in regulation.

Ralph Tristian Tansignco led the Bullpups with 20 points while Rafael Lorenzo Busa added 10. Paul Bernard Baliton dished an all-around game with 7 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Adamson University (AdU), meanwhile, beat University of the Philippines Integrated School, 83-64.

Bryant to join All-Star series vs Gilas, PBA

MANILA, Philippines - Five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant is reportedly joining a stellar NBA selection, including two-time scoring champion Kevin Durant and reigning MVP Derrick Rose, coming over to play a two-game blockbuster series against Smart Gilas Pilipinas and a PBA selection at the Araneta Coliseum late this month.

The Los Angeles Lakers superstar, who is in town to kick off his five-city Nike Asian tour, was included in a roster of NBA stars who will play in the series to be held for the benefit of the MVP Sports Foundation (MVPSF) to uplift Philippine sports and help develop Filipino athletes.

Organizers will officially announce full details of the giant cage event Friday at the Meralco Lighthouse inside Meralco Complex in Ortigas, Pasig.

The two-day basketball extravaganza, presented by the MVPSF, Smart, Meralco and TV5 with Maynilad, MNTC, MIPC and Philex Mining as other sponsors, coincides with the birthday celebration of basketball chief Manny V. Pangilinan on July 14.

Also in the NBA roster are Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma Thunder, Darko Milicic of the MinnesotaTimberwolves, Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings, DeAndre Jordan of the Los Angeles Clippers and Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat.

Milicic’s teammate Kevin Love and Andrei Igoudala of the Philadelphia Sixers are no longer part of the team as earlier reported.

The two-day event became possible following the NBA lockout, making the NBA stars available for the Manila visit.

Sources said Talk n Text coach Chot Reyes is in charge of negotiations with the NBA group led by former star Chris Webber who had played in an exhibition game against a PBA selection early this year.

The Nationals hope to use the game as one of their alternative buildups to their cancelled trips to Lisbon, Portugal and Istanbul, Turkey as they prepare for the Fiba-Asia Championship slated Sept. 15-25 in Wuhan, China.

Injuries to a number of players prompted Smart Gilas to cancel their Europe trips.

The Nationals are scheduled to play in the Jones Cup from Aug. 6 to 14 in Chinese Taipei and one more tournament, perhaps in China, before plunging into action in Wuhan where a lone berth to the 2012 London Olympics is at stake.

A PBA source confirmed the league is forming a selection to play the NBA stars.

James Yap, Marc Pingris, Rabah Al-Hussaini, Arwind Santos, Mark Caguioa, LA Tenorio, Gary David and Gabe Norwood are among players tipped to make the PBA selection to be handled by Reyes himself.

Azkals eye improved defense vs Kuwait

MANILA, Philippines – Azkals team coach Hans Michael Weiss said defense will be an important aspect of their game when they face Kuwait in their away game on July 23.

“We will change the central defense and try not to concede a goal in the first match,” Weiss said in a FIFA.com report.

Weiss said they will have to shut down Kuwait's attacking game to come up at least with a goalless draw.

“If we can come away with a goalless draw, then things will be different when we play as hosts five days later,” he said, referring to the Azkals’ home game on July 28.

He admitted that Kuwait is the toughest opponent for the Azkals so far.

Kuwait made it to the 1982 FIFA World Cup finals and is currently placed 102nd in the FIFA world rankings. The Philippines is ranked 159th.

“They (Kuwait) are a very strong team in Asia,” said Weiss. “I wish I had a year to prepare for the match-ups, rather than a couple of weeks, then we should have a good chance against them.”

However, he assured that the Azkals will give their best to upset Kuwait.

“With solid preparation, good performance and perhaps an extra ounce of luck, it’s possible for us to turn the corner,” he said.