Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Raymond pursues his own American Dream


When Funfare met last week with Raymond Bagatsing at the coffee shop of the Beverly Hilton (where the international journalists were billeted for the print/TV interviews with Terminator Salvation stars Christian Bale and Sam Worthington...more on them in this Sunday’s Conversations with Ricky Lo), he begged off from talking about his private life.

It was understandable. When he married L.A.-based journalist Cora Pastrana last year, the thirtyish Raymond was roundly criticized (nay, ridiculed!) for marrying a woman twice his age even if, he insists, he did it for love and not for the papel (you know...).

Instead, we talked about his pursuit of his own American Dream.

He has been in L.A. for more than two years, spending his first several months doing some “soul-searching.”

“I rested from being showbiz and lived a simple life,” said Raymond, still goodlooking with shoulder-length hair. “Why did I have to soul-search? Kasi nga, I’d been in showbiz for 20 years and I wanted a change of pace, go back to basics, and enjoy life as an ordinary person. Now, I’m ready to return to showbiz. My manager and I have several plans.”

His manager, Everett Wood (who accompanied Raymond to the interview), said that they are preparing an album to be recorded in the US but released in the Philippines and finalizing a plan for Raymond to star in an indie film.

“I have gotten adjusted to the American way of life,” added Raymond. “It wasn’t hard for me because I spent several years in Australia with my mother. I was there when I was 10 years old until my college years. Life in Australia and life in America are almost the same — you know, no maids, at talagang kayod.”

It wasn’t a total turning-back on showbiz, though.

“I first came (to L.A.) in 2006 to play Jose Rizal in a one-man play. Every now and then, I would sing for Filipino communities. But I spent most of my time doing muni-muni.”

Asked what he missed most about the Philippines, Raymond said, “A lot. My friends, my fans, everybody and everything.”

Isn’t he coming home yet?

“Not in the near future. But I will, in due time.”

Come to think of it, will he and his wife have a baby...soon?

“No, not yet. She’s concentrating on her work and so am I on mine.”

No comments: