Friday, October 29, 2010

Pinoy roots help shape Fil-Canadian’s art

VANCOUVER, Canada – Filipino-Canadian artist Lanie Maestro recently presented her latest exhibit at the Centre A Gallery in Vancouver titled "Her Reign".

Maestro used poetic and visual language to address current social conditions like homelessness and drug addiction in the Hastings area where the gallery is located.

Maestro's work included an installation titled "No Pain Like This Body," which, she said, summarizes the emotions she feels whenever she walks through Vancouver.

Maestro believes her roots as a Filipino greatly contributed in the kind of social understanding expressed through her art.

“I always say I come from the country of making art. Everything I do comes from there. I don't even have to say I am Filipino, it is Filipino. I breathe all of that,” Maestro said.

No comments: