Saturday, June 18, 2011

Azkals up close: Jason Sabio

MANILA, Philippines – An athlete by heart and a self-confessed Twitter addict – that's how one can describe the Philippine Azkals' Jason Sabio.

Sabio revealed that he has always been an athletic guy and one can imagine him playing any sport.

Despite this, he fell in love with football the most.

“I started playing football with my best friend in middle school in the States in Alabama,” he said.

Sabio was raised in the United States but his parents are both from the Philippines.

At the peak of the Azkals’ fame, Sabio sat down with abs-cbnNEWS.com and shared things about his personal life and his moments as a member of Philippine National Football team.

Personal Information

Name: Jason Abbott Abantao Sabio
Age: 24
Birthday: June 30, 1986
Birthplace: Manila
Position in the Azkals team: Defender
Start of football career: Started playing football at age 11

Where's your mother/father from?
My dad’s from Marikina and my mom’s from Koronadal in South Cotabato, Mindanao.

What leagues have you played in?
I’ve played in Division 1 in the States, and also in National Premiere Soccer League, which is also a semi-professional team in the States.

What made you decide to join the Azkals?
I‘ve always wanted to represent the country, my birth country and I thought it would be an opportunity because I love soccer, I love football, I love Filipinos.

If you weren't a football player what would you like to have been?
Actually after I’m done with my football career, I’m one year away from finishing law school so I’m going to be a lawyer.

What was your most memorable game?
Most memorable game has to be Bacolod, the first game against Mongolia, February 9, playing in front of 20,000 fans and in live television. It’s one of the best moments of my life.

What’s your pet peeve? The thing that you hate the most?
I hate jumping to conclusions.

What’s the best you like about football?
The best thing about it is it’s a team sport. It’s not just individual so you must work together and you’re only as strong as your weakest link so you have to try to help each other achieve your success.

No comments: